Last item for navigation
National Night Out

National Night Out


English (PDF) | Español (PDF)

Register for National Night Out

What is National Night Out?

National Night Out (NNO) is a unique crime/drug prevention event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW). On the first Tuesday evening of August, residents in neighborhoods throughout the city of Auburn and across the nation are asked to turn on their outside lights, lock their doors, and spend the evening outside with their neighbors. All communities are encouraged to be a part of Auburn's Night Out team by registering their community event. 

For more information on this program on a national level, visit the National Night Out website.

Who participates in National Night Out?

Over 38 million people in more than 17,000 communities around the country will participate in NNO this year. Auburn's 2019 NNO, had 52 registered events coordinated by residents within the City limits, including events in single-family neighborhoods, apartment complexes, condos, places of worships, supported housing, businesses, and mobile home parks. Over 60 staff members, representing City of Auburn, Auburn Police Department, and Valley Regional Fire Authority, participated by visiting the events. 

When does National Night Out happen?

National Night Out is normally the first Tuesday in August each year. For 2022, we will return to an in-person event that will take place on the evening of Tuesday, August 2. 

Where does National Night Out happen?

National Night Out events are hosted by resident coordinators throughout the City of Auburn in neighborhoods, apartment complexes, places of worship, businesses, non-profit gathering spaces, and mobile home communities. Anyone can be a coordinator and host a block party for their community as long as they are within Auburn City limits.

Why participate in National Night Out?

National Night Out is an annual community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie to make our neighborhoods a safer, better place to live. The benefits your community will derive from National Night Out will most certainly extend well beyond the one night. Many communities throughout the city will be hosting a variety of special events such as block parties, cookouts, youth activities and visits from City officials and police as a way to get better acquainted with neighbors and promote a safer Auburn. In addition to connecting with your community, you can connect with Auburn City staff, including Auburn Police Department staff, by requesting their presence upon registration of your event.

How to participate in National Night Out?

Register for National Night Out

If your community will be hosting an event, please register before Friday July 15 to receive promotional items such as postcard invitations, flyers, bookmarks and an event banner free of charge to help promote your event. Events that register prior to July 15th deadline can request a City representative to make an appearance at your event to meet community in your neighborhood and connect with the City.

Additional Info:

  • Any Auburn resident can coordinate and host any type of National Night Out event including things like pot lucks, ice cream socials, full on block parties, etc.
  • Here is a Tips and Tricks (PDF) sheet to help you coordinate your event.
  • Registered events receive access to free advertising materials for their event as well as some supplies such as cases of water, paper towels, waste bags, and more.
  • Registering your event also allows you to request visits from City staff, Auburn Police Department, and Valley Regional Fire Authority. Please note that we do our best to accommodate all requests but may not be able to. If you have particular questions you would like to speak about with staff at your event, please let us know on the registration form or via email as soon as possible.
  • If you would like to host a block party that requires closing a street in your neighborhood you'll need a Right-of-Way Use Permit. These generally take 3-4 weeks to process depending on the specifics of your request and require applicants to provide a completed application form, insurance certificate, permission/petition in favor of the block party from all adjacent neighbors, a traffic control plan showing how you intend to close the street including the specific signs and barricade that you intend to use to close the street and an application fee. Additional information and the application (PDF) for a Right-of-Way Use Type B Permit can be found at the Permits & Licenses page.

For more info, please call 253-876-1988 or email Chris Lovings, the Neighborhood Programs Coordinator.