Last item for navigation
Business - Outreach & Education

The following information is intended for businesses located within the city limits of Auburn. There are new Washington State laws that may affect your business.

Jump to Plastics Law & Organics Law information.



Business Recycling is available for no additional fee!  Recycling may help reduce your garbage costs. Auburn businesses with WM garbage service receive unlimited curbside (commingled) recycling for no additional charge. WM also provides free educational assistance to help your business recycle right!  

What is accepted in recycling?  Materials accepted for recycling include paper, cardboard, glass, metal (size limit 2’ x 2’ x 2’, 35 lbs.), and plastic bottles, jugs, and tubs. For a complete list of acceptable items, see the WM recycle guidelines (PDF).

Recycling containers are offered in a variety of sizes.  View all WM container sizes & dimensions (PDF).

blue cart
  • No additional cost:  Container sizes include 35-gallon, 64-gallon, and 96-gallon (collected weekly), and/or 1 yard to 8-yard dumpsters (collected up to 3 times per week). 
  • For a fee:  Roll-off containers (10, 20, 30, or 40-yard).
    blue dumpster

Large dumpsterAuburn WM Commercial Recycle Services:

  • Start or change service:  Call WM Customer Service at 253-939-9792 or visit the WM recycle services webpage.
  • To request educational assistance or helpful tips on recycling, or reducing waste, contact the WM Outreach Specialist at [email protected] or 253-939-9792.   


In 2021, the Washington State Legislature passed the 2021 Plastic Laws.

  • Effective June 1, 2023:  Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) was banned.  This ban applies to all manufacturers and distributors of EPS in or into Washington.
  • Beginning June 1, 2024: The sale and distribution of expanded polystyrene food service products and portable coolers in or into Washington state is prohibited. Examples of EPS food service products include food containers, plates, clamshell-style containers, hot and cold beverage cups, and portable coolers.

What is expanded polystyrene (EPS)?  EPS foam is a lightweight cellular plastic material consisting of small hollow spherical balls that are expanded and processed through a variety of techniques. EPS is often used for packing, shipping, and take-out food service containers. 


Why was this law enacted?  EPS is harmful to the environment and creates litter when not disposed of properly.  EPS is NOT accepted in Auburn’s Recycling Program because it causes processing problems at the recycling center. In January 2022, New York State enacted a similar ban. To help businesses find alternative solutions, New York created this informative tool kit (PDF).

Resources and Technical Assistance:  The Washington State Department of Ecology (WSDOE) provides technical assistance to manufacturers of these prohibited products. WSDOE is working with stakeholders to develop education and outreach materials to support businesses through this change.

  • For more information on the 2021 Plastics Law, visit the Department of Ecology website or contact the Department of Ecology Plastic Reduction Coordinator, Shannon Jones, at [email protected] or call 360-742-9874.
  • For more information on the WA EPS ban, visit or contact via email [email protected], or call 360-407-6000.



A NEW Washington State Law may affect your business.

Organics ManagementIn June 2022, the Washington State Legislature passed the 2022 Organics Management Law.  This law was enacted to reduce the methane emissions created when organic waste materials, such as food and yard waste, decompose in a landfill. When these organic materials are separated from garbage and processed, they become a reusable resource known as compost.

Organic wasteWhat is considered “organic waste”?  Materials are from living sources like plants, animals, and microorganisms that are biodegradable and can be broken down into simple organic molecules.  Examples of organic waste include: 
  • Food waste: Fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy products, fish, shellfish, nuts, seeds, grains; food processing waste.
  • Organic material waste: Manure; untreated wood waste; waste from gardening and landscape work.
What does this new law mean
Businesses that have organic material waste or food waste will be required to remove these materials from their garbage and provide reporting data to the Department of Ecology. 

There are several ways a business can remove these organic materials from their garbage:

  • Materials can be collected on-site by an approved organics collector or composting facility (see providers listed below).
  • Materials can be composted on site at the business, or these materials may be sent to another business or
  • Materials can sent to another business for reuse (edible food for example may be donated to charity or a local food bank).

Some businesses may be exempt from organic materials waste collection. For more information on food recovery and reducing food waste, visit the Washington State Department of Ecology Use Food Well Washington Plan (PDF).

When does the new business organic law go into effect? This new law will be staggered in over the next 3-years:
  • January 1, 2024:  Businesses generating at least 8 cubic yards of organic waste weekly must arrange for organic management services or compost these materials on site at their business.
  • January 1, 2025: Businesses generating at least 4 cubic yards of organic waste weekly must arrange for organic management services or compost these materials on site.
  • January 1, 2026: All businesses generating at least 4 cubic yards of solid waste (garbage) weekly must arrange for organic management services or compost these materials on site.

There are more requirements under the Organics Law that may affect your business. For more information, visit the Department of Ecology’s website under 2022 Organics Management Law

For assistance, helpful tips and information on the new business organic law contact the Organics Management Team at [email protected] or call 509-960-1290.


The businesses below offer collection services for Auburn businesses. 


Hazardous WasteProper Disposal of Commercial Hazardous Waste

Disposing of your business’s hazardous waste properly is required by law and is important for the environment.

Auburn businesses can receive educational assistance, incentives, and grants from the King County Hazardous Waste Management Program to assist with proper disposal. Visit for information or call 206-296-4691.  

Thank you for your attention to these new Washington State Laws and for doing your part to reduce waste and help our environment. 


Business Outreach Letter & Flyers (Mailed 9-19-23)

Funding for business outreach is provided by grants from the Department of Ecology, King County Solid Waste & Recycling, and King County Hazardous Waste Management Program, and the City of Auburn Solid Waste & Recycling Department.

Need additional assistance?
For helpful tips and information on reducing waste, recycling, organics (yard+food waste), or how to dispose of hazardous waste contact: